Amazingly, I’ve already been in the new job for five weeks. In that time I seem to have got a remarkable amount done – which worries me a bit, as it’s conceivably making quite a rod for my own back.
In the five weeks I’ve done the following :
- Created (and launched) a new site for the company, which has already taken enough money to pay my salary for the next six months
- Written a complete card-processing system
- Written an audit-log set-up that’ll list every time certain actions happen
- Cleaned up a load of shit in the database
- Implemented some automated backup procedures etc.
- Sorted out some significant security bits
- And a load of other smaller bits as well.
I think it’s fair to say that the company’s pretty pleased with how I’ve settled in so far. In a lot of ways it’s still part of that Contractor ethos that I’ve had for years – come in, get down to it, get the job done. Regardless though, they’re pleased with how it’s going, and it’s already been made pretty clear that I’m not going to need to worry about my three month assessment in mid-January.
And I have to admit, I’m actually quite enjoying the challenges that are being thrown my way. There’s a whole load of stuff that needs to be done by Jan 1 2010, which is pretty scary. But it should all work out OK.