Over the last couple of months, I’ve been wondering whether I’m a bad customer, whether I expect too much from people. I’ve had a bundle of things where companies have let me down, haven’t done what was expected, and have generally been pretty shit. Nothing major or world-changing, but just constant niggling let-downs and stuff that should be easy, but isn’t.
I’ve been thinking about it a lot, and particularly those supposedly high expectations – and I still don’t know the answer for sure.
Really though, all I actually expect is for people to do their damn jobs. I don’t ask for some kind of higher-level of things, just to be able to do the bloody job they’re paid for. I assume (and I know that it’s an error, because I’ve worked with too many fuckknuckle shitheads who can’t do their own jobs) that they should be capable.
- I believe that a delivery company should deliver the package to where it’s addressed, on the day they’ve said they’ll deliver it.
- I believe that a bank, when I’ve called them, should know who I am, and be able to put me through to my bank manager without asking who that manager is
- I believe that a recovery company should be able to find a house, and fix a car
- I believe that my business’s accountants should do things when I ask (or do them proactively) rather than saying “Oh, you don’t need to worry yet, the deadline’s not ’til September”
- and a bundle of other stuff besides.
But really, I just expect – and hope – that people do their jobs, regardless.
Is that too much to ask?